Our whole life cycle is made up of chemicals. Right from the morning till night we use many things which are made of chemicals. The process taking place in our body is not only biological but it involves chemical reactions as well. Any change that undergoes is either a physical change or chemical change. We see chemistry in various fields like food, the human body, plants, animals, medicines, soaps, cosmetics and many more. It is true that chemistry is seen in everyday life. Drugs are chemical substances that affect or alter physiology when taken into a living system. They can either be natural or synthetic. In other words, it can be called a medicine.
We see chemistry at home daily. Each and every day we come across various types of activities at home that might include chemistry in it. In this universe, the changes taking place is a category of physical changes or chemical changes.
- The cooking involves numerous chemical reactions like boiling of water, vegetables etc, baking of cakes, fermentation of batter are all the chemical reactions that take place while cooking.
- We use a variety of soaps, detergents for cleaning and washing. These remove the dirt with the help of a chemical reaction that takes place between soap and water.
- Cosmetics that we use are comprises of various chemical substances and minerals that help us in nourishing our skin.
- Turmeric, salt, Neem leaves etc are various medicines present at home that act as medicine in some forms.
The medicines which we use are made of chemicals that are suitable to fight against the specific disease. Medicines are the prior compounds that are completely made up of various elements, minerals and compounds. The medicine works with a person’s central nervous system and helps him to cure the disease. They are antiseptic, analgesic, antipyretics. Antibiotics classification is the major contribution in medicinal chemistry as it stops the infection-causing bacteria. These help in reducing the infection-causing bacteria.
How does this work?
All medicines like antiseptic, analgesic, antipyretics and antibiotics have their own role when they enter into a human body. Every drug acts differently i.e., each drug has its own way of generating a response called drug action. Drugs target the macromolecules inside the body to produce a biological response. This basis for the distribution of drugs is more helpful during clinical trials.
Chemistry has spread its hands in various fields. The other applications are listed below
- Water purification: In the process of purification of water many different chemical substances and processes are involved like the addition of chlorine, boiling etc.
- Preservatives: Many preservatives we do see in the market daily. These are the ingredients that are added to the food to preserve it for a longer time.
- Sweetening agents: These are added in food such as alcoholic beverages, pickles, and bread for fermenting organisms that are important in making these food items.
- Antioxidants – Vitamins C, E, carotenoids, etc improve and protect damaged cells caused by free radicals.
Likewise, chemistry is seen and observed in daily life. Each and every process we see in the environment or the process that takes place within us is all directly or indirectly dependent on chemistry.